The phrase used to be ‘knowledge if worth a lot’ however it morphed into ‘data is worth gold’ and this could not be more relevant today. There is one caveat that this pertains to smart data.
A Hitech use case:
The world of technology today has become advanced and risky and when Boeing defined the 787 due to declining sales of the 767 it was a larger risk than the 747 that had come close to sending the manufacturer to the failed heap.
Boeing realised the design was unusual that competed with other ideas in the company however needed to leapfrog their competitor Airbus by thinking outside of the box.
They had a trendsetting idea to enlist their 200 suppliers as profit-sharing subject matter experts rather than just suppliers delivering to a Boeing design requirement. The value of engaging with subject matter experts is known to have made the seemingly impossible succeed.
Flying the aircraft as a digital twin in software before any of the cut edge technologies such as an all electrical without hydraulics aircraft was prototyped seemed a mammoth task however this became a huge success.
Keypoints of success:
- Automation is part of everyone’s job
- Be prepared for the complexity
- Beware the ‘black box’
- Build-in checks and balances
- Don’t neglect security
- Don’t automate on the cheap
6 hidden risks of IT automation:
- Automating processes before optimizing them
- Allowing ‘automation complacency’ to take hold
- Poor communication among stakeholders
- Process automation misfit
- Overlooking end-user input
- No consideration of interaction design
Hyper-automation is also known as Intelligent Automation (IA), is a framework of technologies and methods for automating the work of professionals and knowledge workers
At CATIM we consider ourselves as Hyper-automation experts however we work very closely with our customers to understand the problems they are experts at and need to overcome for success.
Additional Post information
- A framework for explaining the power of Intelligent Automation…view article here
- Intelligent automation: the key to revolutionising business…see article here
- 6 tips to avoid automation disaster…see article here
- 6 hidden risks of IT automation…see article
- Automation & jobs in the new normal article here
- Boeing 787 Dreamliner… story here
- From Start To Finish: How The Boeing 787 Is Made…see article here
- Four Tips for Ensuring a Safe Autonomous Mobile Robot Installation…see article here
- Microsoft’s Power Automate Desktop is now free for all Windows 10 users…see article here
- How industries can use automation to innovate…see article here
- The essentials of automation applied to distribution systems via PLCs, SCADA, IEDs, and RTUs…see article here